HD type - ATA or IDE?

andy@ 13:48 08 Sep 05

I need a second internal HD for my Compaq Presario Win98, could someone explain what the difference between IDE and ATA is?
I was after a Maxtor Diamondmax and the software to overcome the 8Gb bios limitation-apparently :-).

Andy

Chegs ® 13:58 08 Sep 05
  woodchip 14:17 08 Sep 05

The ATA just means that it's a faster drive than just a EIDE. But they are both EIDE drives

andy@ 14:56 08 Sep 05

OK thanks. I guess then that I'm OK with the ATA-133 as long as it's 40pin and not 80 pin.

I hope the Maxblast works -I'm not particularly looking forward to fiddling with the BIOS i.e. apparently I have to turn off autodetect and set to "none".

Andy

woodchip 15:29 08 Sep 05

You should use a 80 Wire Ribbone cable with the drive. The pins on the drives are all the same, 40 pin

andy@ 15:43 08 Sep 05

Ah...Ok, 80 wire is 40 pin anyway. Thanks.

Andy

DieSse 18:25 08 Sep 05

If you have a BIOS 8Gb limitation, then you probably don't need an 80wire cable, as your system will probably only run up to ATA33 at maximum.

Just a note of caution - these BIOS fooling programs work in most cases - but not all. I've had systems where they don't. Unfortunately it's not possible to tell in advance whether or not they will work (unless you can find out someones experiences on an identical system - and I do mean dentical).

DieSse 18:35 08 Sep 05

PS -

ATA = Advanced Technology Attachment

IDE = Integrated Drive Electronics

Mean the same thing, and are used interchangeably.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…