HD transfer from pre-built PC

Blokka 10:04 03 Jan 04

When PC World and other companys preinstall software and O/S for you and stick it on a partition so when you use their recovery disk you can get your pc back to its original state, is it possible to copy this across to another hard drive reason being a family member has a prebuilt pc from pc world, i think? (it's quite old now) and the hard drive seems to have quite alot of bad sectors on it and they seem to be increasing, now should the drive fail how do you recover the data other than transfering there partition across onto another hard drive, its something ive never realy thought about since ive never crossed this path before.
Also would there be a copyright issue which would prevent you from copying such things?

Diemmess 10:17 03 Jan 04

It seems a reasonable approach to prolong the life of an ageing computer.

It will involve using some disk imageing software and careful thinking through each step in the procedure.

I would have though there is nothing illegal here because you are staying with the same computer, merely reviving it.

User-312386 10:33 03 Jan 04

i would not use a disc imageing software on this one as you will transfer all the data from the slow pc etc etc

The pre-intsalled software is OEM and therefore should not be used on another computer anyway.

Rayuk 10:37 03 Jan 04

When you buy your new drive {Maxtor I know have software for you to copy old drive onto new one]go to the manufacturers website and download the software to do this.

madboy33etc

You are wrong saying this as the material is not being copied to a different pc but replacing failing part of original.

Blokka 10:42 03 Jan 04

madboy33©®

All im doing is just replacing the hard drive all other components will remain the same so the pc would be untouched other than the hard drive

Diemmess

I did wonder about drive image software but was unsure if it would pick the hidden partition up, but if it does what would you say is the best software available to use or is it a case of personal preference

User-312386 10:50 03 Jan 04

i use drive image 7 which is availabe from pcworld for £29.99p

This allows you to trasnfer ALL your HDD to another HDD

What you could do is install the NEW HDD with the old one in still in the PC and transfer the complete drive over to the new one

Heres the link for DI7 click here

Diemmess 15:50 03 Jan 04

Drive Image or Norton Ghost (which I use), uses a prepared floppy for booting, not allowing windows to load. The "image" file has to be stored somewhere which will not be used as the future Drive C:

In your case I would have your new HD partitioned and formatted with at least 1 partition more than the old HD.

Store the "image" file/files on the last partition/drive on the new HD.

Now when you "restore" these image files, they will overwrite the whole of each target drive. (image of C: to first drive on new HD).

Its a bit weird fiddling in effect in DOS, but the program gives lots of warnings to check as you go along.

When I said it would pay to think the whole thing through, it will also help you if you play safe by disconnecting the primary drive while you partition and format the new one. (this will prevent a heart attack from formatting the wrong drive.)

Also when you first run the new HD in the primary position, have the old drive disconnected so that there is no conflict with twin versions of Windows.

woodchip 15:59 03 Jan 04

If you get Drive Image it should see the Hidden partition you can then Image that to CD and copy it to the new Drive but you need to partition the drive first to put it there do the same with you C:\ dive etc. There is no Guarantee that it will work as it may be linked to the size of the old drive

g0nvs 16:05 03 Jan 04

DI will copy to another drive ok even if the new drive is a different size.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…