HD Temp a bit high

ruskle 20:49 24 May 06

I have just run PC Wizard and the temperature is 42 degrees C. The fan is still cutting in and out, I am only browsing this forum and nothing else running. CPU usage is about 2% and Memory usage is a max of 355 Mb out of 1Gb. The Laptop is raised about 1 inch from my desk at the back and no obstructions.. I just feel it seems a bit warm in front of the keyboard
Should I worry that I have a problem.

Ruskle.

ruskle 21:07 24 May 06

Forgot to mention, I am connected to the interent via Wi Fi, which is showing 36Mbps. If that matters. Temp now 39C
Ruskle

Totally-braindead 21:16 24 May 06

What temperature does the BIOS say it is? And how do you know the hard drive is the temperature you say, as far as I know there isn't a temperature sensor on a hard drive.

De Marcus™ 21:17 24 May 06

Laptops do generally come with temp sensors, and yours sounds perfectly normal.

bjh 10:01 25 May 06

Laptop hard disks do tend to run quite hot, normally without problems. Most laptops, even from a cheap supplier, will have a very standard config (same cases, mobo, hdd, processors, etc), and so will all generate the same amount of heat. So first suggestion is : what make & model is it? One of us might have the same, and be able to give comparable figures & advice.
Overall, this doesn't sound like cause for too much concern.

Things you can do are; make sure the airflow isn't too obstructed by the surface (ie a lap; never use a cushion to sit it on when using it on a lap), make sure the airflow holes are clean.

Presumably it has a cooling fan inside. Does this stay on all the time, or does it cut in & out?. If the latter, that suggests that the machine is moderately happy at its own temp.

My laptop HDD gets up to 39° and seems quite happy.

ruskle 10:03 25 May 06

Thanks De Marcus, This is the reading 5 mins after startup this morning, it is a Tosh lappy by the way. I can't find any reference to a BIOS temperature.

Hard Disk Temperature HTS541080G9AT00 : 18 °C

I was just a bit concerned because the keyboard rest felt a bit warm where my hands touched, I will keep montoring and if I see a higher reading I will give the fan a good blow out.
What do you think is a a critical temperature?

Ruskle.

Pine Man 11:15 25 May 06

Having read this thread and, specifically the response from Totally-Braindead, I felt the need to start a new thread. click here

ruskle 11:16 25 May 06

Sorry bjh I missed your posting.
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite, (the new one with the bronze coloured lid) 1Mb memory, Centrino M740. 1733mhz (running at 1728.95.
Temp is now 35c. after standing 1 hour.
Probably no problems.
Is it easy to clean out the fan ducting, without wrecking anything?
Thanks again.

Ruskle

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…