HD seen on Norton System Info but not Win Explorer

Will 18:52 16 Mar 04

I have been trying to recover data from a laptop(Time Computer} hard drive after the OS(XP) became corrupted and will not open. The restore disks will wipe all the data so I have connected the HD to my mates Desk top. The system said it had recognised the Hard drive and shows in "System Information" in Norton Utilities, but it will not show in Windows Explorer where I was hopeing to transfer the files. I have set "show all hidden Files" but it still isn't showing?? Could this be a bloke put in by the manufacturers? Anybody got any ideas? Next question would be does anybody know where the best place to get Laptop harddisks.

Diodorus Siculus 19:00 16 Mar 04

What file system is on each machine? If the new one has FAT32 and the other has NTFS, the former cannot see the latter.

Will 19:03 16 Mar 04

both systems are XP so I would take it they are both NTFS

Diodorus Siculus 19:06 16 Mar 04

If you have Windows XP, you have one of two different file systems. A file system is a sorting method for computer files on a computer's hard drive.

Under Windows XP there are two possibles. NTFS and FAT32. NTFS is a system from the old Windows NT (and Windows 2000) operating system which was Micosoft's old Windows for business line.

FAT32 was used on Windows Me and 98 was an evolution of the FAT system used on Windows 95.

To figure out which one you have, double click the My Computer icon on the desktop and right click on your C drive and choose Properties. Look for the "File system" entry. It'll either say NTFS or FAT32.

Diodorus Siculus 19:07 16 Mar 04

Also, it is possible that the disk is too badly damaged to be visible. What does norton system info say of it?

Will 19:13 16 Mar 04

will I be able to find out to find out in the bios on my laptop what wether it is FAT32 or NTFS? or do you have to get into windows which I obviously can't.

Will 19:27 16 Mar 04

In device manager it stated it was working ok

Diodorus Siculus 19:46 16 Mar 04

If the new machine is on FAT32, it can be converted to NTFS without any risk (well, only slight... be sure to be backed up). Then see if the laptop disk is visible.

Will 20:06 16 Mar 04

just been on the phone and the desktop is NTFS so |I have just plugged the Laptop HD into my Win 98 Fat 32 Desktop and I have got the same readings. The disk is picked up on startup and given in Norton System info but can not be seen anywhere else? Do you think Time Comupters has put a block on it some how? I have been told the Recoverey disk they gave me will only operate on a Time HD?

Diodorus Siculus 20:09 16 Mar 04

Do you have any options for setting as master / slave or trying it on a different ide channel?

How is it connected to the PC?

If you boot into safe mode, is it visible? (Press F8 at startup.)

What about at the command prompt?

Will 22:12 16 Mar 04

Thanks for those I will try in the morning. It is connected to the PC by a lead for the job from maplins. I have connected the lead the wrong way round before I eventually got it right but as I said it was picked up at boot up. It is frustrating but as usual with a little help from our friends we learn so much!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…