HD Problems

mark_rob66 10:14 02 Nov 05

I have had a Maxtor 120gb hd in Jan 05...last month it started to make clicking noises and the pc was freezing up...did a quick system backup just in case and then it totally went...now x3 replacements later, I'm still getting the clicking noise!! The pc will hang during formatting, installing windows, basically at any time. Is a a bad batch of HD's, or is my pc doing something to them !!! ??? help

Diemmess 10:24 02 Nov 05

On a balance of probabilities the anwer is Yes.

Just what is not so certain. I bought a budget PC a few years ago. The contract was for me to install Windows. For nearly a month it corrupted HDs on trying even to Format the HD.

Fortunately I had superb customer support and returning the whole thing (after 2 HDs later) the problem persisted and a second return cured it!

It must have been a RAM or mobo/CPU problem. The good news - cured, the bad news - I was never told the reason!! sorry (:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…