hd not formatted?

conrail 23:01 15 Feb 04

running xp, recently installed 2nd 120gb hd as slave, everything fine for the 1st 2 weeks now it keeps telling me it's not formatted, do I want to format now, I format it and then copy files to it, everything fine for a day or so then when trying to access files or save to drive I again get the drive not formatted, do I want to format now message again, any ideas please

billyliv 23:43 15 Feb 04

Hi, I get the impression that your drive is not recognised in control panel. I think this has something to do with 'Disk management'. Someone with a bit more knowledge on this subject will probably be able to help you. Cheers, Bill

conrail 10:13 16 Feb 04

thanks for reply, it is recognised in my computeras a valid drive but just needs formatting, I have done this now twicwe and it is asking for a 3rd time

bretsky 13:49 16 Feb 04

Set the jumpers on your new hard drive to Cable select from the IDE ribbon cable and then reformat the new drive.

I did this when I installed my Maxtor 120Gb HDD and reformatted using the software that came with it, I also partitioned it off into 3 drives, and like yourself I use it as a slave/b-up drives, and have had no problems.

bretsky using win xp home ed sp1 on a Dell dimension 4300.

Good luck bretsky;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…