//some 3rd party need geo

HD light comes on and pc becomes unstable

Dan the Confused 01:55 27 Feb 04

For just over a week now my hard disk light keeps coming on and staying on for no reason. It's usually within 2 hours of booting up. When it does this the pc tends to freeze or if it doesn't it stops at the closing down screen when i try to shut down or restart. Sometimes Norton has to fix it when I reboot.

I've run Norton System Works on it but it finds nothing wrong, either with software or hardware.

I can provide a Hijackthis log if this would help, but I'm completely dumbfounded.

Diodorus Siculus 08:18 27 Feb 04

If using winME / XP, it may be set to do a system restore.

Alternatively, do a check for spyware. click here
Lavasoft click here
Spybot-S&D

Failing that, diable most programs that run at startup and see if it happens.

Diodorus Siculus 08:34 02 Mar 04

------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks! By coincidence I've just downloaded and run Spybot - I drew the same conclusion. It's amazing how much gunk was in my register but it's clear now, which is a good thing whether it fixes my problem or not. I noticed an awful lot of 'myway.mybar' that was there as well.Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll let you know if it did the trick.

Thanks for the help, I tried Ad-aware and Spybot and both did a really good job. I used a trial version of Pestscan as well and removed a couple of remaining things manually, the PC is much more efficient now.However, it wasn't adware or spyware - it was a hardware problem after all. It only happens if there isn't a CD in my CD drive, regardless of if I use it or not. Bizarre but true, I'm gonna have to get that DVD drive sooner than I intended...

Thanks for letting me know; please try to post replies here too - I don't often collect mail sent from this site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…