HD "consistency"

redeyenewby 08:05 16 Jul 10

From a few days ago every time I switch on my PC it tells me I need to check a drive in my PC for consistenct. It then goes through a scan of the drive and gives me results before allowing Windows XP to start. The drive in question is my 2nd. HD (named G) which I fitted months ago and on which I keep a lot of my files. I have Norton 360 installed and Paretologic "drive cure", the latter which I rarely use because I am concerned (from PC Advisor Helproom Forum advise) that it is not always a reliable way to fix drivers. Any help please? Now and again I get a "programme not responding" notification which takes some getting rid of. Thanks all in anticipation.

gengiscant 14:57 16 Jul 10

This sounds like the hard drive is on it's way out, but you can try this.

Start> Run> then type CMD

Then type fsutil dirty query G:

This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next type CHKNTFS /X G:

The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive (G) on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing Chkdsk /f /r G:

This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit.

Finally type fsutil dirty query G: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

redeyenewby 15:22 16 Jul 10

gengiscant (I think you can), Thank you for your email. I will try it shoortly. When you say reboot manually I assume you mean shutdown/restart. I wiil try it that way anyway. Thank you nery much indeed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…