HD clean-up - files to remove?

andy@ 13:13 31 Jul 05

I have a new digicam, and need a new bigger HD, but in the meantime I'm trying to remove all unecessary files from my HD. I have trashed IE temp files, and unwanted progs/files, but it is tricky identifying which files I can safely bin.

Do I new to keep WinZip files - can I bin them? I mean are they the remnants of previously unzipped files, and no longer required.

Can I bin Win update files? Are they required as a single file, or have they been disgorged into various folders on [C:].

Thanks
Andy

P.O.N.I. 13:16 31 Jul 05

stick with ccleaner and a regcleaner, regseeker or regscrubxp are excellent

andy@ 13:30 31 Jul 05

Thanks. Don't know the ones you mention. I have Ashampoo WinOptimizer, but have not been brave enough to use it. I mean - deleting the 'unecessary' .dll files it suggests etc...

Andy

P.O.N.I. 13:34 31 Jul 05

click here it's perfect, everyone on here uses it!

click here for regseeker also recommended, I have been deleting all it finds for months with no problems.

also recommended click here

andy@ 18:44 31 Jul 05

Thanks. I've downloadeed and used ccleaner - good. I've now have regseeker. Just wanted to check, before using reseeker - how do I make sure I have backed up the registry properly. I do have a copy of "system" and System32"; is this sufficient?

Andy

Pooke 18:47 31 Jul 05

regseeker makes a backup up of it's own when cleaning the registry, make sure the little box in the lower left is ticked and just confirm it when asked.

andy@ 10:12 08 Aug 05

Thanks - used rs and cc. Seemed to clean up without a problem.

Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced