HD activity

griffo 18:35 05 Jul 07

One of my PC's has a rather noisy HD, so it's obvious when it's active. Lately, it seems to be 'chuntering' away 90 to the dozen most of the time.

Looking in Task Manager to see what's going on, it lists 9 processes but at the bottom left corner, it says 51 processes??

Also, the CPU useage is ranging from 4% to 63%!!

Any ideas what might be going on please??

howard64 18:47 05 Jul 07

could the hd be almost full - windows uses the spare capacity to swap in and out of ram?

skidzy 19:19 05 Jul 07

If your cpu usage is rising to 63% and nothing running,this needs addressing.

Can you post the process that is using these resources.Please type exactly as it is listed in task manager.

Also have you defragged your harddrive recently,also disc clean.

Running ccleaner can help cleanup some rubbish click here

You could also visit your harddrive makers website and run there diagnostic tools to test the drive.

Though i would be backing up everything first in case of a possible failing drive.

Technotiger 19:40 05 Jul 07

I'm with skidzy on this one - I would say back up NOW, your hard drive is probably on its last legs!

griffo 18:57 06 Jul 07

I do back-up regularly so, that's OK.

The HD isn't doing this all of the time, just from time to time. At first I thought it was AVG doing it's daily scan but the timing wasn't right for that.

Anyway, at the time I checked task manager the list showing was:-

iexplore.exe
avgcc.exe
googletoolbarnotification
cbfmon.exe
MXOALDR.exe
crss.exe
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
explorer.exe

Incidentally, it's quiet whilst I'm typing this, yet there are 43 processes listed! How can that be??

Technotiger 19:00 06 Jul 07

I have 50 plus processes and a nice quiet hard drive! This is normal.

griffo 21:11 06 Jul 07

It's not the noise that I'm concerned about, I believe this is just one of those noisy drives, some are. This drive has always been 'crackly' (poor description but can't think of a better one just now). It was the activity levels that were concerning me, when seemingly, nothing should have been going on.

woodchip 21:13 06 Jul 07

Check Fragmentaion

wee eddie 21:20 06 Jul 07

If you're running XP with less than 512MB. The Hard Drive will be getting a hammering as it's being used as Virtual Memory almost constantly.

wee eddie 21:21 06 Jul 07

If you're running XP with less than 512MB. The Hard Drive will be getting a hammering as it's being used as Virtual Memory almost constantly.

VoG II 21:25 06 Jul 07

cbfmon.exe

do you mean

ctfmon.exe ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5