Having trouble opening some programmes.

Trikie 16:42 02 Feb 09

Just started getting an error message when trying to open a number of different programmes. Message is "Procedure entry point FindWindowsExW could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll"

How serious is this - as a very non-technical user can I do anything to sort it?

AndySD 16:57 02 Feb 09

You may have been infected with a virus or trojan. If you have an antivirus program make sure it is up to date and run a scan (if you dont then post back for free recomendations) Also download and run Trojan Remover from BetaNews click here its free for 30 days then you can either buy it or uninstall it.

Trikie 17:20 02 Feb 09

Thanks,

looks as though you are right as I can't download Betanewss. Another attempted download earlier today also failed, I thought it was just that particular website but now wonder.

AndySD 17:25 02 Feb 09

Try from the home site click here

Trikie 17:52 02 Feb 09

Same thing happened. Also tried to run it but got similar message re Procedure entry point.

Where do I go from here (if anywhere)

Trikie 18:01 02 Feb 09

Now getting the same message when trying to open a file in Works word processor.

VoG II 18:19 02 Feb 09

I would try a System Restore back to a point before this problem appeared.

Trikie 20:14 02 Feb 09

Everything in the Control Panel opens except System - presumably another aspect of whatever is causing the problems.! Is there another way to access system restore?

Trikie 22:32 02 Feb 09

Have also lost Adobe Flash Player and get an error message when trying to download a fresh copy.

VoG II 09:16 03 Feb 09

Try this. Start, Run, type

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click OK.

Trikie 11:58 03 Feb 09

Many thanks VoG - it seems to have restored everything. Will keep a note of that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009