having trouble installing my asus xonar D2X soundcard

crooky1988 07 Nov 12
Answered

Hi, I am a newbie when it comes to upgrading pc hardware so i need a little help please.

I have recently purchased a asus xonar D2X soundcard for my pc but the soundcard requires a 4 pin cable for extra power from the PSU, i cannot locate any spare 4 pin connectors coming off from my PSU.

The PSU its self is fully covered with a case so i cant even see if there is any connector ports in it, it is the PSU the computer came with.

So i am wondering if i buy the power adaptor needed for the soundcard could i connect it straight into one of the spare sata ports on my motherboard will this give power to the soundcard? or will i have to upgrade my PSU before i can use this soundcard?

My system is

HP G5200 UK m

windows 7

Thanks any help would be more than appreciated

Chronos the 2nd 07 Nov 12
Answer

This is all you need. Ebay. That was a poor strategy by Asus to require a floppy power connector, which are fairly uncommon now.

crooky1988 07 Nov 12

Thanks

So that will work using the sata ports on my motherboard?

No you plug it into a spare Sata/Molex connector from your PSU. You will definitely have spare connectors,we all do. Plugging it into your motherboard will not work.

crooky1988 07 Nov 12

Ok thank you for your time and advice

will buy the connector you mentioned :-)

Your welcome.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message