Having trouble installing modem drivers

Arias 21:54 09 Jul 03

Hi there,

I recently formatted my HP Pavillion 8540, originally it was on Windows 98se, last time i had it on Windows 2000 but this time i went for Windows XP (i don't know if this has anything to do with the problem).

I downloaded the drivers for my Rockwell HCF 56k Data fax PCI Modem and tried installing them but when i do it says "This device cannot start (code 10)."

When it is installed in the list it says "Unavailable device" and i cannot use it.

Please help me!!!

Arias

Valvegrid 22:08 09 Jul 03

Are you sure the driver is compatible with XP? I have seen a few threads warning about driver problems with some of the older hardware.

Paul.

Valvegrid 22:10 09 Jul 03

Oh, just a thought, if it's not compatible try downloading a new driver from Rockwell.

Paul.

Stuartli 22:12 09 Jul 03

Does the Win 2000 driver not work with XP? Quite a few components do work with 2000 drivers in such cases.

Arias 14:39 10 Jul 03

Well ive tried the drivers i used last time for win2000 and the ones ive downloaded that say they are compatable with XP.

Do you know the Rockwell website url so i can have a look on there?

Megatyte 15:07 10 Jul 03

I have the XP driver for this(Riptide) modem. Mail me and I'll send it to you.

AH

keith-236785 19:05 10 Jul 03

click here

download the driver, extract ( i suspect that is the bit you havent done, sorry if im wrong)

open the folder and the following (and more), can be found in the Read me File

This document describes the steps required to properly install the Windows XP HSF Generic Drivers, which accompany this document. Please understand that the modem drivers you will be installing are intended for basic modem operations and are generally not supported.
Conexant Systems, Inc. 12/15/2002

III. Instructions for Windows XP.

i. Upgrading the modem driver with the generic modem drivers using HXFSetup.exe.

1. Go to the folder where the modem driver is located, C:\HSF_WinXP, and double click on the HXFSetup.exe file.
2. By clicking on the HXFSetup.exe, you will be uninstalling in-build modem driver and installing the HSF generic modem driver that was downloaded from the Conexant website.
3. If during the installation process, the "Found New Hardware Wizard" pops up which indicates that you need to direct it to the drivers.
4. Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and then click Next.
5. Check on "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." and click Next.
6. To direct windows to the drivers click on "Hard Disk" and go the folder where the drivers are located, C:\HSF_WinXP.
7. Open the GENHSF5.INF file and click OK.
8. Click Next on the next window and allow a few seconds for the installation process.
9. Click on Finish when ready and the generic modem driver is installed.

hope this helps.

Megatyte 19:10 10 Jul 03

I have the drivers for the specific modem. Awaiting a response.

AH

Arias 23:27 10 Jul 03

paperman27, yes i have extracted the files... those generic drivers dont work by the way (and its HCF not HSF).

i think i have the right drivers because they install ok and match my modems name exactly it just says unavailable device for my modem once theyre installed. dont know if its some settings or something ive got to change??

woodchip 23:36 10 Jul 03

Rockwell do not make modems, they make chipset that goes in modems. You need to know the make of modem then go to that site. click here

woodchip 23:39 10 Jul 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…