Having to toggle screens to log off

Hi.
Fujitsu Siemens A1630, 4½yrs old but generally working fine. ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with Catalyst and all the latest drivers etc.

I've had a consistent problem for ages: very often, in order to log off, I need to press the toggle screen (Fn-F4) even though I'm only using one monitor. If I click "start - turn off" nothing happens for ages and eventually there will be an Explorer error and I have to kill the computer. However, if I toggle screen, the log-off window appears and all is OK. It's as if there are two instances of Windows running concurrently.

I have tried reinstalling Catalyst, switching it off, disabling it etc, and all the other monitor settings are OK as far as I can see.

Occasionally, it also seems that some programs are running in the 'hidden' window - most often Outlook. After exiting the program it is sometimes impossible to restart it and Task Manager shows the process still running. Toggle screens usually allows the program to close properly. Have had similar problems with taskbar icons not appearing.

Has anyone come across this before? Apols if this is covered anywhere else - not really sure what keywords to search for other than "toggle".

Cheers

Gary.

Ex plorer 09:14 31 May 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…