having 2 o.s temporarily on same system.

KPC 19:11 01 Feb 06

Because of space problems i have bought a 80 gig hard drive 7200rpm to re install windows xp pro on this new drive. My old hard drive is 40 gig with the original o.s. on. To save time, is it possible to run 2 o.s. on the same system but obviously not on the same drive then i can drag and drop all the stuff i need to save direct onto new drive then reformat and use the old drive for more storage. Also the old drive is a 5400 rpm. is this ok on the same ribbon cable as the 7200.

madPentium 19:17 01 Feb 06

Just install xp on the new drive, without the old one connected to be safe.
Then when complete, change the jumpers on your hard drive to make it slave and connect it to your 80gig ribbon. Either that, or put it as it is on the other ide ribbon and change your cd to be a slave.
Xp will boot from the 80gig and you will see your old drive in my computer. Just copy over what you want and then when you're sure you have everything, format it in windows.
IF you are using OUTLOOK, make sure you set up xp pro on the new 80gig with the same user name. It can otherwise be a pig to get your emails back in.

Diodorus Siculus 19:18 01 Feb 06

That will not be a problem; just be careful of what you are doing when installing the new os.

Put in the new disk as master

the old disk as slave

boot with the XP CD

Install the OS

then copy your data from the old to the new.

KPC 19:22 01 Feb 06

Thanks alot madPentium and Diodorus Siculus...
What would we do without you lot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…