Have you emailed me?

Forum Editor 00:51 10 Dec 04

I am getting more and more mail from forum members who ask me to resolve their problems on a one to one basis. This started some time ago, but it's become a bit of a problem.
I can't do this for two good reasons:-

1. I just don't have the time.

2. It wouldn't be fair to other forum users.

The whole idea of the forum is that we can all watch the story unfold, and later on other people with the same problem can search the archive for the solution. If I answer questions privately by email the information isn't subsequently available in the archive.

I'll still look forward to hearing from you about anything related to forum activity in general.

Taran 16:58 10 Dec 04

I'm probably not the only forum member who has received emails from other members asking for one to one assistance for specific problems.

While I don't objects to emails if necessary or where I invite someone to contact me, it can be a bit disconcerting sometimes to find people dropping a message your way asking for help without waiting to see what the forum members can collectively produce in the way of advice or assistance. Sometimes a thread is not even started to begin with.

I usually post whatever my reply is to those emails into the forum. I won't dispute that sometimes it has been necessary to go to email but in general this forum is (and always should be) the first port of call and without it nobody else will ever benefit from a solution to a problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:27 10 Dec 04

Some "first time users" or inexperienced forum members send e-mails for assistance once I have posted a reply.

As per Taran I paste the e-mail into their thread.

The site is used by some people for help,

for others its a "hobby"

and for many users a place of learning.

/\0/\

Forum Editor 08:17 11 Dec 04

who already have a thread running - I get piles of mail from people who contact me first, rather than posting a thread in the forum.

My point was to underline the fact that I can't deal with all these requests - there's insufficient time, and it would defeat the object of the forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…