Have to reboot, want to keep emails

cowgirl66 15:35 02 Sep 06

I'm intending to reboot XP but I want to save my emails which are in O.E so that when I get XP back in my computer I can find my emails. Is it possible to do this by forwarding them to my googlemail email account for instance? Will they still be there in Google when I log back on? I don't mind which mail server keeps them as long as I know they're safe and ready for me when I get back.

Regards Micklemouse

Noldi 15:47 02 Sep 06

Cowgirl are you talking about rebooting as in restating your computer or reformating.
If you are reformating then Webb based e-mail is a good way to store back up if you have no other option such as a external hard drive.

Noldi

Diodorus Siculus 15:47 02 Sep 06

They should be safe but you should back up all your data - address books, office files, etc.

see click here for a guide

and then click here

cowgirl66 16:06 02 Sep 06

I'm sorry if I wasn't very clear, Noldi, but yes I do want to reformat XP. I don't have an external hard drive and it just seemed to me that if I have the patience to forward the emails to a webmail account then perhaps they'd not get lost.

Hi, Diodorus, yes ok I'll make a note of my contacts and I've saved to disc the bits of software and drivers I'll need to save time. Even my crabby website is on a USB stick!

Thanks for your advice,,

Regards cowgirl66

Gongoozler 16:47 02 Sep 06

Find any files with the extension .dbx, you may need to go to Windows Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View and select "Show hidden files and folders" to see them. There should be a dbx file for each of your Outlook Express email foders plus a file called Folders.dbx. Save all of these dbx files and you can then use them to restore your emails after reinstalling.

For more information on how to read backed up emails, have a look at my posting in this earlier thread click here

cowgirl66 17:08 02 Sep 06

Thank you, Gongoozler. I have copied the email folders into .dbx files on a CD and will maybe use the dbxtract software if all else fails.

Thanks everyone cowgirl66

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017