Have to reboot pc to maintain connection

superhoops 14:41 01 Apr 07

For many months now I have to periodically reboot the pc as my broadband connection(Sky Mid package) dwindles to a halt. All my tabs start saying (Problem loading page", my aol instant messenger cuts off and I cannot access emails (Thunderbird). Rebooting the pc corrects this 100% of the time for an hour or so then the same happens. Rebooting the modem doesnt make any difference- it has to be the pc.
I posted this topic a couple of months ago but didnt get it sorted and wondered whether anyone had any ideas? Thanks

birdface 15:31 01 Apr 07

Have you tried ,Control panel,Administrative tools,Services,Scroll down to DNS Client,Make sure it is set to automatic.

birdface 15:37 01 Apr 07

Try Control Panel,Network Connections,Right click local area connection and press repair,Let me know if it comes up with a DNS problem.

superhoops 17:04 01 Apr 07

Hi buteman, thanks for the replies.
Did what you suggested in your first reply. It is set to automatic, log on as network service.
Did what you suggested next and it comes up with no problems at all.

handy4x 21:01 01 Apr 07

i presume you have scaned for spy ware etc as this could be hogging your band width

superhoops 21:34 01 Apr 07

Yes I use Ad-aware, Spybpt and Spyware Blaster regularly

birdface 21:44 01 Apr 07

You look as though you are a bit short on good Spyware programs.You could try A Squared or something like that ,Also you never mentioned what Anti-virus or Firewall that you are using,I am not saying this is your problem but helps to have good security programs,It may be your computer is overheating and cutting off,If you check the back of computer and make sure all the air vents are clean of fluff and dust,

superhoops 21:50 01 Apr 07

Anti Virus is AVG and Firewall is ZoneAlarm.
The vents etc are fine, should be the pc is only 3 months old.
I am still waiting for my Vista Upgrade disc, even though it was supposedly posted 10 days ago. When/if it eventually arrives I will probably do a clean instal rather than upgrade and this may sort out whatever the problem is - I hope.

birdface 22:42 01 Apr 07

I suppose you have the option of having it repaired under guarantee,If its a laptop can you try running it on a friends set up to see if you have the same problems,I used to have the same problem as you,But I was with cable [NTL],Eventually they sent an engineer out,he was on my computer for about 2 minutes,Then went outside to cable box and changed the filter,3 Month of getting cut off and it was fixed in 5 minutes.

superhoops 23:20 01 Apr 07

Twice I have rung sky about this and both times I was promised a callback by a more senior tech person. I gave my mobile number as I didnt want to miss the call. Both times no-one phoned.
What I dont know is whether it is the pc or the sky equipment at fault. It is a pc incidentally not a laptop. I can probably get my daughter to bring her laptop over on her next infrequent visit and instal sky on that and see what happens.
Incidentally I have changed all the filters in the house. When the contract runs out with sky in Sept I will definately change provider due to their lack of interest. I had AOL before and didnt have these problems, although I also had a different pc then as well so who knows.

baldtaco 01:10 02 Apr 07

My bet is is it's a firewall settings problem. Probably svchost

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009