have not got a clue with this one

brickie999 21:18 23 Jan 07

hi there
since I downloaded and installed futuremark 3D 06 and ran the test last night I have had this problem.I can not open my documents,my computer or the control panel.when I try to open one of them everything disappears except for the wallpaper then it just comes back to the normal screen as though it has refreshed itself.I have tried a system restore with no success. it will also not let me open my network places either.when I ran the futuremark test yesterday the first time it stopped and rebooted the pc itself and when I ran it today to see if it may right it self it just froze and I had to reset the pc.when I open start and try and use the run command or the search once again it just seems to refresh itself again.I have run a panda anti virus scan and a spy ware scan and nothing has shown up.I have also ran tuneup utilities and still have the problem. any ideas please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 23 Jan 07

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Stuartli 21:33 23 Jan 07

Could be your graphics card can't handle certain resolutions or combinations of resolution/colour/refresh rates with Futuremark.

brickie999 21:55 23 Jan 07

trouble is i can not find my xp disc at the moment,is it possible to borrow one just to replace lost files?also i have got problems with my graphics card but would that solve the problem of not being able to get into my documents etc?

keef66 10:44 24 Jan 07

Yes, you can run sfc /scannow using a borrowed XP disc (as long as it's the same version, ie XP Home or XP Pro)

Maybe you have corrupted graphics card drivers too?

brickie999 21:32 24 Jan 07

am waiting on my xp disc.graphic card drivers seem ok.i got this reply from futuremark about the problem.
This problem sounds that there is something wrong with your system. This
type of system crashes suggests that there are serious issues with your
operating system or hardware. First i would run an anti-virus software.
Then check that your hardware doesn't overheat. After that i would
update all hardware drivers and check that they are functioning
properly. You should also run memtest to check that your system memory
is functioning.

It is hard to pinpoint what is wrong with your system because there are
several possible reasons why this might be happening but i would start
by checking the things i mentioned earlier.
i will keep you posted how i get on.

woodchip 21:48 24 Jan 07

I would say that the Program as install something it shouldn’t. That’s why Restore as not worked as it is saved to the Restore file. Restore need turning of and the Virus or whatever needs removing. Then turn back on Restore, all restore points will be lost

brickie999 14:06 27 Jan 07

Hi all
this is what happened.I located a xp disc and before I ran it I thought I better turn off my panda anti-virus.as soon as I turned this off everything worked fine.so I uninstall it then reinstalled it and everything seems to be working ok now.so many thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ , Stuartli , keef66 and woodchip for trying to help with this problem.
cheers from brickie999

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…