Have MS Office Publisher. Do I need FrontPage?

Sparrowhawk 14:21 21 Oct 04

Hello,
I have MS Office Publisher with my MS Office install.

Do I need FrontPage?
What functions will it bring?

Can I start the design with MS Publisher and modify it later and easily with FrontPage?

Thanks in advance,

dth 15:55 21 Oct 04

Although Publisher can be used for website design it is pretty poor for this and produces lots of extra not needed code.

Taran 12:42 22 Oct 04

Publisher not only produces bloated code, it often coverts text blocks into GIF images, making long-term site maintenance a real chore and preventing search engines from indexing the page content properly. This means your content is not accessible at all to anything other than a graphical browser and it slows page load times down.

Whether you go for FrontPage or not, you do need a dedicated web authoring program of some description if you want to do the best job you can on your site.

Forum Editor 18:12 22 Oct 04

you can't edit a Publisher site in FrontPage. Well you can, but to a very limited degree, and there would be no point. The others are right - Publisher is hopeless at produding anything but the most basic of basic sites, and you may as weoll forget it if you're at all serious about site design.

Sparrowhawk 18:26 22 Oct 04

Thanks,

It means I must wait for MS Front Page and not waste too much time designing a web site with MS Publisher (knowing I get MS Front Page next week - hopefully).

Correct??

hiredagent 17:51 24 Oct 04

Although frontpage is a good web desighn package you can get better. I advise dreamweaver from Macromedia, you will love it once you get you hands dirty. You can make your site with HTML, or if your a real beginner you can use the view mode too. You can download a free trial of it at click here but be warned, its almost 100MB!!

If you can't afford the hefty price tag then I advise you get at least frontpage. Its alot better than publisher.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…