Have I a Virus?

portishead 21:50 27 Feb 04

Can someone help me get control over my PC.

The system is an Athlon 2600+ running Windows XP Home. I’ve got Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition with the last working virus definition update of the 18th Feb, (but see below). Scanning the whole computer tonight didn’t report any viruses found.

Over the last few days I have been unable to run the more recent downloaded virus definition files when I double-click them. The hour glass appears for a couple of seconds and then the arrow returns.

I have also noticed that on some user accounts I could not enter secure pages of internet banking websites. My internet access is through Tiscali 150 Broadband.

Tonight I tried restoring the computer to the 5th Feb but it has made no difference except that the virus definition file is now dated the 4th Feb and I still cannot run the more recent files.

Additionally, the ‘User Accounts’ icon in the Control Panel of all users doesn’t work. I’ve also lost the ‘User Accounts’ icon in the main administrator account.

Is anyone able to help me regain control?

portishead 17:49 29 Feb 04

The inability to enter secure pages of a website only seems to be limited to Administrator accounts. Any limited account holders can access as usual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…