Have I a Trojan Horse virus? Please advise!

Pappyon 16:12 17 Aug 03

After running Adaware 6 I got a message viz:

Virus. Trojan Horse downloader Dyfica.b is found of file C:\System volume information\Restore{F989D909-FEOA-4924-AEBI-853017AO60EE}\RP55A0011952.exe.

This message was repeated with RP55A001953.exe and then RP55AOO11963exe. I run AVG after this and got a message that there are no virii (or is it viruses) on my machine.

The machine seems to be running normally, and I read on a NG posting on the same subject that it could be a hoax from a web site I have visited, but that doesn't prevent me from feeling anxious!

Any help or advice gratefully received

Jester2K II 16:16 17 Aug 03

The virus is trapped in the System Restore folder.

To flush it Switch System restore off, reboot and switch System restore on again. Re-scan.

Why Adaware 6 detected this and AVG didn't i don't know.

Jester2K II 16:22 17 Aug 03
  Pappyon 16:39 17 Aug 03

After following your advice I run Adaware 6 again and am no longer getting a report of a virus on this program.

How much space on my HDD should I allocate to System Restore please. I forgot to check what it was at when I shut it down. It is running on an 80gb disk.

Should I run AVG again also, or is that not necessary? I thank you very much for your prompt reply to my post, and for your help.Thank you also for highlighting your earlier post, and the MS article on the subject. I will bookmark it for future reference

Jester2K II 17:12 17 Aug 03

I would use the defaultamount of space - you'll ahve to check thia yourelf as i don't use SR.

Run AVG once more to be sure.

Chegs ® 17:22 17 Aug 03

SR usually allocates 12% of the size of hdd by default,this was way to much on my hdd's(120gb x 2)giving up 14gb's to system restore. :-)

ps:I turned mine down to 1% as this is plenty.I also turn off system restore on all hdd's except C:\Windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…