Have I set up AVG correctly?

ened 18:28 06 May 06

because once a week I run a full test and occasionally it detects a virus on my machine.

I have just been reading another thread and it seems that it should be preventing them from getting in in the first place.

Is it normal for a virus to slip through and then be detected later?

Forum Editor 18:45 06 May 06

is it always the same one, or are they different?

Can you recall the names of any of them?

ened 18:49 06 May 06

I can't recall the names but I do remember they are always different.

Unfortunately I emptied the Virus Vault only recently - but the only contents were the Virii which had been detected by my manual tests.

skidzy 19:34 06 May 06

Try running click here
its very good,also make sure your recycle bin is empty after any removal of viruses,

Preferably scan in safe mode,to get into safe mode tap f8 on startup continually.

Apologies if you have tried this already.

Simsy 20:57 06 May 06

but to answer your specific question; "Is it normal for a virus to slip through and then be detected later?", I think the answer is "Yes".

But, providing the antivirus program is up to date, with a definition file that knows about the virus in question, it will detect it on either of 2 events, namely, when a scan is performed to look for virus files, (which is what you've done), or when the virus file itself tried to execute, i.e. perform it's nasty deed.

If the antivirus files on the program are up to date and knows about the virus, then, I think, it will detect it as the virus is saved to disc.

As usual, I'm open to correction. But that's my understanding of how the nasties are "policed".

Regards,

Simsy

palinka 20:13 07 May 06

I agree with Simsy, who has described it better than I can.
As long as you regularly update your AVG (not the same thing as a scan/full test) you should be OK. I've used AVG for years and never had a virus get onto my machine.

Totally-braindead 20:27 07 May 06

Unlike palinka who has been rather lucky I think I do occasionally get a virus on my computer but I download quite a few programs etc.
I use AVG as well, before that I used Norton for a few years and the same thing happened with that so it is normal and no anti virus program will stop all viruses 100% of the time as they evolve and new ones are created all the time and in many cases the anti virus software will not be able to detect them until you get the new virus definitions. Which obviously cannot be created until the virus appears.

So is it normal for a virus to slip through? Yes it is. I think the trick is to catch it quickly before it causes any damage. Mate got a virus on his computer last year and phoned for help, went up and found his computer was riddles with nearly 200 viruses, when I asked him about it he said a few months before a virus got in and he couldn't delete it and decided to ignore it. That I think was the result. Had to blank his computer as after a few hours I'd only cleared about a quarter of them and had lots of other software problems. If he'd told me at the time chances are I could have gone up and just got rid of the 1 virus that had got in.
He says hes learned his lesson. Time will tell.

palinka 20:35 07 May 06

I agree with Totally-braindead about the need to limit viruses by quick action. I've had similar experiences to his with my friends - they ring me and say "my computer is doing funny things"; asked "how long ago did this start?" they often say it's been several weeks or even months. Then it's a major job to clean up their machines. So I repeat don't worry, but agree that you should deal with any virus you find immediately - otherwise it may let in its cousins and nephews and nieces.

mammak 21:52 07 May 06

And I stand corrected but is it not good advice to switch of "system restore" before running your AV as these little tinkers can hide their selfs in your restore points oh mabye im wrong but thought it was worth suggesting.
Ps. but dont forget to turn it back on after.

ened 06:25 08 May 06

Hmm!
Thanks for your succinct responses.
I'll sign this off as the question has been clearly answered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…