Have I picked up a virus?

justjill 20:41 13 Mar 09

I run my own business and this morning I received an email which was quite obviously a scam (from a man of the cloth, wanted to use own shipping company etc) and while I was reading it I received another email from one of my suppliers who had received a forward of the scam email from me - except I didn't forward it to her. It seems that it has somehow automatically forwarded to her and we're both baffled as to how. Is it possible that my PC has been infected with something?

I use Zone Alarm Firewall, Avast! anti-virus, Ad Aware and Spybot and I've run a virus scan which has picked up nothing. A Spybot scan found a few things but they were just the usual suspects.

Should I be worried? Is there anything else I should do? The email address is associated with my webhosting - has someone somehow got access to my website?

As usual, I'd really appreciate any advice :)

Terry Brown 21:18 13 Mar 09

Download and run a2free (emsi software), this will check your system better than most other freeware checkers.
Please note _ this is a 'Run as required- NOT a replacement for your normal checker'

As you say you are running a business, may I suggest you get a paid virus checker, as they will catch more than most free ones.

Terry

justjill 21:24 13 Mar 09

Cheers, Terry.

Could you recommend a paid-for version? I've heard so many bad things about Norton that I'm a bit nervous about commercial software!

mocha 04:58 14 Mar 09

Hi justjill,

Download Malwarebytes Anti malware, install, check for updates and do a full system scan. It's Freeware. click here

Andsome 09:12 14 Mar 09

For probably the best Anti virus and firewall combined, look at Nod 32 security suite. Available on line from ESET. You even have access to telephone help in the UK as well as e mail help. The staff there are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Norton will NEVER darken my doorstep again.

User-1229748 09:56 14 Mar 09

as is said above if i were to pay for a security suite i would go with eset :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced