Have I made a mistake?

pickle factory 12:03 02 Nov 04

Help. I have just received my shiny new WD 120gb SATA hard drive. Trouble is I have an Asus A7N8X-X mobo in my pc and I'm not sure if I can use them together. I haven't unpackaged yet, am I right in thinking they don't go together. I can't find anything definite on the Asus site other than SATA is not mentioned on my mobo details. Anybody know???

hillybilly 12:09 02 Nov 04

You probably gonna need one of these click here

pickle factory 12:17 02 Nov 04

Thanks Hillbilly. Do I need one specific to suit the mobo/hard drive or does one size fit all? Any recommends? The hard drive I have bought is a WD1200JD 120gb OEM. Cheers

hillybilly 12:22 02 Nov 04

You needa an sata controller card, which make and how much you spend on it is up to you. Personally I've always found the cheap to be just as good and reliable as the expensive.

Just open your case and plug it into a spare pci slot, plug in your new drive and install all the drivers for card and drive etc.etc.

pickle factory 12:28 02 Nov 04

Thanks again Hillybilly. I was all set to return the drive. Another major pc disaster narrowly averted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…