have i got a virus

charlton200 16:33 23 Jan 05

Hi,
I was emailed by wanadoo about my web based email account, saying that a large amount of spam has been sent from it.It said i might have a remot dialer trogen installed on my computer. I was told to run a spyware program.
I have agv anti virus, adware, zone alarm ,and spywareblaster installed and up to date.

If I run adware will this cure the problem of my email account being used by a third party to send spam.

Any advise is appreciated as this is outside my comprehension

I have run adware and only had a few tracking cookies which i deleted.

Thank you .

VoG II 16:36 23 Jan 05

Run a² click here

If that reports you as "clean" then almost certainly you are.

stalion 16:37 23 Jan 05
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 23 Jan 05

MSoftAntispy Beta click here

pretty good at finding things but ignore the false positive squire search

Diodorus Siculus 16:37 23 Jan 05

click here
This online scan will help.

More than likely someone has simply used your address (purely randomly) as a "from" address, particularly if you come up all clear.

johnnyrocker 16:40 23 Jan 05

it is not your e mail a/c that is compromised whatever you have is spuriously mailing out all over the place (it might even be someone else infected with your address in their address book) strange you have non coming back as many recipients are spurious addresses, i would run an on line virus scan at symantec.com or pcpitstop.co.uk.

johnny.

charlton200 16:44 23 Jan 05

Thanks for all that.

I will try the first one first.
when it says , scan the folders you want., i take it i would only need to do the c drive, is this correct.

many thanks.

VoG II 16:45 23 Jan 05

Yep, the whole C: drive.

stalion 16:46 23 Jan 05

you need to scan any drives you have if you only have one drive the c drive then yes

end 17:06 23 Jan 05

dont wish to jump on the experts comments, but, my reaction is, are you sure that the e mail was from waaaddoo?and is genuine?

charlton200 17:49 23 Jan 05

Well it looked it , but thats not saying it is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…