Have I got a virus???

missionsquirrel 18:17 08 Jun 04

I have wanadoo broadband connected on two computer (through ethernet cable). I have only recently connected my second computer, and hadn't had chance to update norton anti virus (re-subscribe to it). Last night a pop-up kept coming onto the screen telling me that spyware was installed in my computer, and another telling me that I have been exposed to this. My homepage also wouldnt stay as click here and keeps changing to search:blank. I keep changing my options in he broswer window. After these messages kept showing, I paid £33.47 to update norton as they worried me. Following this, norton updated and told me to reboot my computer, which I did. After logging on again an error box keeps showing telling me that files requied to run windows 2000 have been replaced and I need to insert my windows 2000 professional cdrom to ensure the stability of my computer, or i can keep running the computer with the unrecognised versions... I ran anti-virus and no viruses have shown up, can you tell me what this is? and what to do about it??? please help!!!!

Fruit Bat 18:22 08 Jun 04

Down load and run this CW Shredder click here

Other spyware progs recommended are Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here

/\0/\

johnsims 18:23 08 Jun 04

Seems like you've picked up some sort of hijacker.
Download Spybot Search and Destroy from click here and run it.
Once you've got rid of the irritant you may have to replace a few windows file from th ecd

missionsquirrel 18:32 08 Jun 04

thanks... was having a big panic - I've only just bought my other computer of my friend so I didn't want to wreck it just yet... :)

Fruit Bat 18:59 08 Jun 04

To prevent further infection you need a fiewall antivirus software kept uptodate and spyware progs also kept upto date here are some free ones

Anti Virus :-
avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Trend Online Check click here

Firewalls :-
Kerio2 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Spyware :-
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here

/\0/\

Dorsai 19:20 08 Jun 04

I spent several days last week getting re-directed to aifind.info, and having my home page re-set to about:blank. I used hijackthis and cwschredder to solve the problem, but must ask:

What are the people who write these progs trying to achieve?

about:blank was just that-blank!

aifind.info listed loads of sites, but if i tried to go to any of them i just go re-hijaked back to aifind.info.

so apart from making loads of people really 'expletive deleted' what was the point?

Or am i missing the point, and the point was just to .... me off!

MartinT-B 19:31 08 Jun 04

go here click here and run the online test. You will have to register.

MartinT-B 19:35 08 Jun 04

sry test here too click here

smudge101 23:32 08 Jun 04

I totally sympathise with your point of view, to be able to do what they do, virus writers must have some amount of intelligence, isn't it a pitty that they can't do something constructive with it?
My opinion, anybody caught writing viruses should be wired in to the mains, but perhaps this should be continued in another thread?

Migwell 00:55 09 Jun 04

Why bother I think every one on here will agree any way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…