Have i got a virus?

Camille 12:17 03 Mar 04
  JIM 12:28 03 Mar 04

Check it out,believe your safe.

Mailer-Daemon Errors

An error message from AOL’s e-mail delivery subsystem ([email protected]) indicates that there was a problem in delivering your message to its destination. When you receive an error from our mail system, your message will be returned to you along with an outline of the mail delivery problem. This document will help you become more familiar with the format and content of our mailer-daemon error messages so you can identify delivery problems and possibly correct the situation.

click here

Camille 12:42 03 Mar 04

The reason I'm asking is that the email address it says it couldn't deliver to bears no relation whatsoever with any email address I send to.
I can say with absolute certainty that i never sent that email in the first place - since I've been receiving on average 3 -4 emails per day from people I don't know with virus attachments I wondered if somehow my email account had been attacked

JIM 13:44 03 Mar 04

Most email viruses mask their true pathing and routing information by pretending to be from someone they are not.Sounds as though the source of you address may be a friend or business that would have you in there adress book?(unknow to them also what's going on)

The mail/virus i hope would have been picked up by Norton on opening if AOL had not done the job.(saying that would be to late if opened also depending what the virus may be)

Dont believe Norton can scan any incoming mail before aol recieving it, unless there software has changed since i had it? (2002 ver)

"Info article"

Dubbed Mydoom, Mimail.R, Novarg, or Shimg depending on the antivirus vendor, a worm discovered on January 26th, 2004 has created a headache for users. The worm spoofs the From address, causing lots of innocent folks to be blamed for sending the worm. The fact is, the one person who is most likely not to be infected is the person's whose name appears in the From field of the email.

Worse, antivirus alerts are once again contributing to the mess. As was the case with Sobig.F, the vendor alerts have become part of the Mydoom problem.

The alerting problem begins when one of the infected emails is detected by the ISP or domain antivirus solution. The antivirus software, depending on the administrator's configuration, may then send an alert to the recipient and to the alleged sender. Of course, when the sender name is falsified, this means innocent folks are accused of sending a virus when in fact they are not the infected party. The confusion and chaos only gets worse. Many of these antivirus products will send the actual infected message to this alleged sender. Meaning they have now received the virus. If they open the email and the attachment to see what it is they supposedly sent, they then risk becoming infected. The volume of erroneous antivirus alerts is so high, it is quickly outpacing the number of actual Mydoom emails. In fact, some contend that the antivirus alerts are themselves a form of DoS (Denial of Service) attack.

palinka 14:56 03 Mar 04

Maybe this isn't your problem, but just in case :-I have lots of colleagues who have Norton set to update automatically, but find it hasn't uopdated. Why? because they go on line only once or twice a week, if that, to send/receive emails, and disconnect straight away after. Norton Auto update doesn't ahve a chance to update and as a result they find their AV updates are way out of date.
I advise manually updating Norton at least once a week.
Having said that, you're probably OK with the [email protected] message. I've had one this week because I sent a message to an out-of -date address. In OE, RIGHT click on the "From/Subject" line . Select Properties, then click on Details and then on Message Source. Now, starting at the bottom, you can read the message, and its complete path to you WITHOUT OPENING IT.

Camille 19:12 05 Mar 04

Thanks for your input. I have Norton set at automatic update and am on often enough for it to do so. I also do a manual check for updates once a week just to make sure. I had huge problems a year ago with a virus, so am rather paranoid about it now. I've had numerous mimail type emails recently and was worried that this was a sign that despite my best efforts something had gone wrong.
Norton says not.
JIM - your message was very helpful - the more information I have, the better I feel able to deal with things :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…