have i got a virus?

wazzzz 19:01 22 Jan 04

turned on the windows xp pc last night and thought it took a long time to boot,didn't think nothing of it.anyway triend to connect to internet,nothing.after checking a few things i went to network/internet connections and nothing was listed which is strange as i have 1 dial up and 1 broadband but they are not there no more

tried to add a new connection but it tells me i can't 'cos some services have been turned off.now my desktop has returned to windows classic theme and my windows xp theme won't appear in display properties.again tried to turn themes on manually but it won't let me.

have checked device manager and run anti virus software but nothing shows.the more i keep looking the more i find wrong but there is nothing to point me in the right direction. i can't get onto the net so i can't use any online health check sites.anyone help???

johnnyrocker 19:17 22 Jan 04

how about system restore to last known working?

johnny.

Gaz 25 19:18 22 Jan 04

Windows XP theme file is corrupt then...

And it sounds as though you need to repair windows.

Anyway, tell what is in the list of start up items please.

Start > Run > Type: "msconfig" (without quotes) > start-up tab, and list everything here.

wazzzz 19:21 22 Jan 04

have tried system restore,and it is exactly the same.why some services are off and will not come on with or without my help i don't know.

will try msconfig and see whats there

wazzzz 19:25 22 Jan 04

evntsvc
Dragdiag
qttask
point32
navapw32
IAMAPP
msmsgs
ctfmon

this is what's listed under the start up tab

johnnyrocker 19:28 22 Jan 04

run system file checker see if corrupt files get replaced.

johnny.

Gaz 25 19:33 22 Jan 04

msconfig seems fine.

No unusual ones.

As suggested above try sfc \scannow from run window, with your windows XP CD-ROM.

This may work. If not a repair of windows is a good option.

wazzzz 22:02 22 Jan 04

think i might have found it.if i disable my anti virus software at start up with msconfig,everything works ok.i'll uninstall it and see what happens then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…