Have I got USB 2.0 on my Computer?

JJW 00:32 29 Nov 05

I have just bought a External Hard Drive for my 3 year old Packard Bell iMedia 5116se PC. The problem I have is when I plug the Drive into any USB port a Message appears telling me i've pluged a high speed devive into a low speed port and gives me a list of available ports to plug it into. Well i've tried them all with the same results. There are four ports on the rear of the tower and two ports on the front. In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers it has the following list : SiS 7001 PCI to USB open host Controller (x3): USB 2.0 Root Hub: SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller: USB Printing Support: USB Root Hub (x3). I have checked the properties on all of them and all show OK. It looks to me as if I have USB 2.0 on here, but where and which port? Any help please, or should I just buy a USB 2.0 pci hub card.... Running Windows XP Home SP2. External Drive is by Freecom.

phil46 00:44 29 Nov 05

If you have say a USB hub then if you have hardware installed that is USB1 then any USB2 will run at the slower speed i don't know if this is the case if you connect a USB2 to your USB sockets on the MOBO.

JJW 00:59 29 Nov 05

I'm sure the drive will work connected to a USB 1 port, although slower, but i'm sure when I bought the PC new it was surposed to have USB 2.0 on it. It's never been an issue in the past. Will have to check at my local pc shop about fitting a USB 2.0 card to MOBO.

Skyver 01:02 29 Nov 05

Are you sure USB2.0 is enabled in the BIOS - in some it's possible to switch between Off, USB1 and USB2.

mgmcc 01:04 29 Nov 05

<<< SiS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller >>>

Yes, you do have USB 2.0. There can be problems after installing SP2 where the USB 2.0 drivers are not updated correctly. Try using the option in Device Manager to update the drivers for the USB controllers and see if that resolves it.

phil46 01:05 29 Nov 05

A quick check unplug all that is USB then see if you USB HD shows as low speed.

jack 08:31 29 Nov 05

This Nag can also occur if a USB 1 hub is in use.
That is a USB2 device connected to a USB2 machine via a USB1 hub.
In the event it is of no consequence the devices work to gether- any notional speed difference will not be observable to you, as you sit there worrying about it.
It would take a benchmark program to tell you that every thing is running at a few thou cyles/sec less than it could if only.............

mgmcc 08:43 29 Nov 05

<<< any notional speed difference will not be observable to you, as you sit there worrying about it. It would take a benchmark program to tell you that every thing is running at a few thou cyles/sec less than it could if only....>>>

As USB 2.0 transfers data at forty times the speed of USB 1.1 (480Mbps compared with 12Mbps) I would have thought there should be a very noticeable difference in performance when used with "high speed" devices that take full advantage of the increased speed available, though not all do of course.

No?

JJW 20:07 29 Nov 05

Installed a Belkin 5 port USB 2.0 card. Hooked up the Hard drive and all is working fine. Why the other ports played up, I know not. I now show 2, 2.0 USB hubs in devive manager. Thanks to all for your help.

JJW 20:07 29 Nov 05

opps "Device"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…