Have I got the right driver

alcudia 09:11 20 Nov 03

My system click here has recently been moved to XP pro and I am trying to obtain sound drivers for this O/S instead of the XP ones that have been installed.

The driver is listed in device manager as Intel 8280 1BA/BAM AC'97 audio controller.

I have download this this driver click here Please can anyone tell me if this is the correct one.

Grateful for replies.

AubreyS 09:20 20 Nov 03

Do you have any problems with it? If not, I would use what you have. I would have thought that there is no difference in the drivers. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

alcudia 09:28 20 Nov 03

No. No problems, just doesn't have the options that the dedicated driver had.

temp003 09:34 20 Nov 03

Agree with AubreyS. Unless it's not working, I wouldn't bother trying a new driver.

You said you've changed to XP Pro and want to obtain sound driver for this OS instead of the "XP ones" that have been installed. If you mean the previous OS was XP Home, then the driver is the same for both Home and Pro.

If you mean you don't want the default driver which Windows has installed, a search on the Gigabyte website on your motherboard shows that the onboard sound is provided by Realtek. click here which is quite a large file.

On another site the Avance AC97 codec is described as Realtek Avance AC97, so perhaps they're the same thing.

You can always unroll the driver if it doesn't work properly.

Stuartli 09:35 20 Nov 03

The driver you mentioned doesn't appear to be the correct version.

Try this:

click here

alcudia 09:47 20 Nov 03

I think you may be right. I have a machine here at work which has Realtek sound. The driver appears very similar to the avance. I have just downloaded it.

Stuartli,

Thanks for that info, having a bit trouble navigating to a download though.

temp003 09:51 20 Nov 03

This is your motherboard specification click here It uses the Realtek Avance Logic ALC201a audio chip.

The reason why the download for the audio "driver" is so large is I suspect it includes the software applications, which may be what you want.

If you go to the Realtek download site click here , it has separate downloads for the bare driver and the Realtek Media Player.

temp003 09:52 20 Nov 03

Sorry, missed your last post. Anyway, pick the download you want.

alcudia 10:08 20 Nov 03

This look familiar. Got it thanks.

I assume if all goes belly up I can always roll back, or use system restore.

Thanks a lot.

alcudia 10:25 20 Nov 03

Now have it confirmed. The realtek is the correct driver. It's confusing though because Advent say Avance AC97, Gigabyte say Realtek and my machine says it's Intel. I suspect this driver is there because it's the nearest XP had when it installed. Apparantly the avance would probably work as well.

The upgrade by the way was on top of Win98 because my supplied recovery disc for ME (I hate those things) wouldn't work after I installed a new hard drive.

Thanks for your help. I'm grateful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…