Have I got a magic computer?

my modem is plug and play....according to device manager... i have comms ports, 1,2,4....if I re-boot .. my modem will install on com 3(huh) and work...I am using NTL dialup (hawks and spits) which disconnects me after 2 hours .. If I reboot.. computer can find modem but it can't communicate wuth it .. as long as I don't reboot its all right.. anybody got any ideas?

Megatyte 03:07 10 Sep 03

Chances are your physical Com ports are 1 & 2. Your modem will install its own port(apparantly 3). Not being able to re-connect would lead me to beleive that when you are disconnected port 3 is being left open, this will stop your modem from being able to communicate. A re-boot will reset all ports. If you re-boot and your modem can't communicate how do you ever get a connection?

AH

-pops- 06:42 10 Sep 03

Not an answer to your query but can I suggest that you change your nickname from your email address to one that is less obvious?

Even here there could be some strange people to whom any email address is a temptation to do something undesirable.

Jester2K II 08:53 10 Sep 03

Also Spambots will pick it up and you'll be added to junk mailing lists...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…