Have I got a backdoor onboard? PC has gone weird

lemon2 23:20 28 May 03

In the last 48 hours my PC seems be operating with a mind of its own. Several programs have been moved, deleted or been corrupted. I first noticed last night when I went to use media player and it was missing from the menu and it had been moved from E:/ drive to the D:/ drive,b getting corrupted in the process. I then noticed half my MS programs and system tools hade been moved and corrupted also. Outlook Express and IE6 have their links rewritten and point nowhere on the start menu. Outlook express is corrupted beyond repair. DirectCD is also awry. But is essentially MS progs that have been affected. Icons have changed too.

Each time I correct the problem, and restart it, it returns not to the corrected state but an entirely different one.

I have Norton AntiVirus Pro 2003, Norton Personal Firewall 2003, (although I had Zone Alarm Pro running at the time I first noticed it)running all the time. I have done a complete sytemwide scan. I have scanned using both Spybot and Adaware none of which report anything suspiciious. I have NoAds running in the background. NetBIOS permanently blocked and scripting must ask for permission each time.

So how has this happened? And more importantly, what exactly has happened? I'm assuming that a backdoor has been on my PC altered a lot of the settings and has exited, or could it be something else?

I never disable my av or firewall when browsing, I do a systemwide clean with system mechanic after each browsing session, followed by a scan with Spybot. So I can't understand if something has come in from outside, it must have been able to spoof it's way through.

I'm also assuming the only remedy to is reformat my harddrives and reinstall everything from scratch. Unless anyone knows what's happened.

In have a dual booted system of Win98 & WinXP Home Edition with SP1 installed.

The Spires 23:35 28 May 03

Download click here & give Tauscan a run, there is a 30 fay trial, & it's not an intrusive program to remove. I have used it for a couple of years without problem. It will pick up trojans your AV will miss. Post back with news.

woodchip 23:38 28 May 03

This is a virus not a trojan

The Spires 23:52 28 May 03

Woodchip, His initial question was Have I a backdoor (Trojan) Onboard? Your reply was most helpfull I will ponder it.

woodchip 00:08 29 May 03

Trojan do not normally alter files Virus do. That?s why I use Achilles Shield it stops any kind of abnormal file modifications from does not need any dat updates ever been running this for years never had a virus click here Free trial

woodchip 00:35 29 May 03

Trojan are mainly used to gain info from your computer

lemon2 00:56 29 May 03

The Spires
Thanks. Have downloaded Tauscan and am running it now. 11% of the drives scanned so far - nothing found yet.

Woodchip
If its a virus and not a backdoor trojan, why didn't Norton AV find it, I have it set to heuristic, and I auto-update. Are there better AV's? I've always found it to be effective, although I used to run Dr. Solomons, which I felt at the time was better.

lemon2 16:47 29 May 03

Did a complete all files scan with Tauscan - no trojans found! So, it's either a virus or windows has become corrupted and altered my programs.

Reformat and reinstall time I think!

jazzypop 16:56 29 May 03

Hmmm ...

D: and E: drives getting confused?

Program shortcuts pointing to the wrong place?

Dual-booting XP and ME?

Far more likely to be a registry corruption associated with dual-booting, in my view.

Willow12 18:48 29 May 03

With all the Spybot scanning you have been doing you may have inadvertently deleted an important part of the registry that it flagged up! If this is the case then check in recovery on Spybot to see if anything is there that can restore your PC.

woodchip 22:50 29 May 03

It look's like It's a Boot sector virus after reading up on what it is doing. To remove you need to start with Win98 floppy Disc at A:\> type FDISK /MBR to clean the Master Boot Record. Sorry I have not got back sooner but I have been busy preparing for a week away in caravan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…