Have I fried my Hard Drive?

hecate 09:52 11 Sep 06

I recently fitted a 40GB Hard Drive into a USB caddy as a back-up.
All worked fine for a while. Unfortunately while I was using my comp with the caddy we had a power cut which lasted about fifteen seconds. When power was restored everything had stalled,and my mouse would'nt control anything.
To switch off the computer I had to use the main on/off button.
I now have a Caddy that wont work! All the lights come on and I can hear the caddy chugging away, but my computer will not recognise the caddy despite using the new device wizard. The following notice shows on screen."This device cannot start(code 10)"
Any help much appreciated.
Hecate.

johnnyrocker 10:02 11 Sep 06

unplug caddy re boot pc? what os? if xp try system restore to before the power cut?

johnny.

xania 11:08 11 Sep 06

Also try plugging it into another USB port.

woodchip 11:13 11 Sep 06

Looks like the MBR is corrupt on the Drive. This one reason that Restore should not be enabled on other drives than the one with the Operating system on it. As Windows likes to write to drives and Partitions before you shut down. If the plug is pulled or power shut off the above happens

hecate 09:42 16 Sep 06

Hi Guys.Thanks for your suggestions. I've tried them all, but still no joy I'm afraid. I have re-installed the drive into another computer without success, so I think the drive has had it!
Many thanks.
Hecate.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:15 16 Sep 06

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Device failed to start. Click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device.
On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooting wizard.

So sounds like a USB driver problem for your caddy. however if you cannot connect it as slave on another PC and read it could also be master boot record.

when connected as slave can you see the drive in disk manager?

woodchip 13:30 16 Sep 06

If BIOS can see the Drive there is Hope. tell us

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac