Have I an Ethernet port / connection ??

RKMonty 11:37 19 Nov 05

Very simple question !!

How can I tell if I have an Ethernet connection or port on my pc ??.
Thanks again.

PaulB2005 11:39 19 Nov 05

Look at the back for a square port that looks like a modem port but slightly bigger. Will ahev two small lgihts too..
click here

click here

click here

click here

RKMonty 11:48 19 Nov 05

Fantastic reply thanks !!
I have 2 !! Don't use them at present are the better than USB2 or are they for different uses ??

keewaa 11:51 19 Nov 05

I would just double check you're not mistaking the modem ports .... it's unusual to have 2 network ports on a basic computer ... 1 is standard ... modem ports usually come as 2, for voice modem ... see if you see "line in" or "voice" engraved in the metal ... if so these are modem ports.

wky 11:53 19 Nov 05

I had two ethernet ports on my pc because one was onboard and one was a pci card.

RKMonty 12:17 19 Nov 05

They do not have line in / voice next to them. They just have the 'family' tree type symbol with 3 boxes.
What are their main uses ??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:38 19 Nov 05

1. connect to a cable modem (NTL Telewest)

2. connect to a router (patch cable)

3. connect direct to anothr PC (crossover cable)

Networking PCs click here

RKMonty 12:43 19 Nov 05

I have Telewest Broadband connected via set top box to pc via usb port at present.
Today....I'm having a cable modem fitted by Telewest for my Broadband...does this mean they will connect it to the Ethernet port and will this be an advantage (ignoring any Telewest speed upgrades ?) ? Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:24 19 Nov 05

No experience with Telewest, but found NTL modems could use USB or ethernet port, USB often caused problems with these modems so ethernet was better if available.

keewaa 13:46 19 Nov 05

USB modem are cheap as they rely on the PC processing the signal ... so ethernet are better as they use less PC processor resources. Definitely use the ethernet ports if possible.

PaulB2005 14:52 19 Nov 05

Telewest will probably connect to the Ethernet port.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…