Have I been done?

alexgray104 13:52 27 Feb 05

At christmas I purchased a Acer Laptop from Comet in Bath and I was impressed - up until now that is. In the computer specifications it said it had 256mb of RAM. I don't know loads about computers - I just wanted one to do my work on, so it didn't occur to me to check if it actually had that of memory (I wouldn't know how anyway!). So when AOL did a check up a few days ago I was quite suprised to learn that AOL thought my system would do better with 256mb of ram because it only had 196mb. Is there anything I can do to make Comet or Acer upgrade it? Because it took a long time to save up for and I don't want to be forking out for upgrading it when i've only had it 3 months. p.s - a friend recommended this site and it has been a godsend.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:00 27 Feb 05

Around 60mb of RAM can be used for HD caching. 60Mb will make little discernible difference. You could put another 256 in and you would notice a difference.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:01 27 Feb 05

ps...go to 'my computer', right click and look at properties. You should see the RAM there.

G

Diodorus Siculus 14:05 27 Feb 05

Likely that the missing RAM is given over to graphics if you have onboard graphics.

Diodorus Siculus 14:11 27 Feb 05
  961 14:14 27 Feb 05

There are two threads running here

imakemist 16:00 27 Feb 05

Best advice is to ditch aol and use an ISP which will give you better servuce for less cash

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…