Have I accidentally removed system files??

Florio 17:39 03 Mar 08

I recently installed PC Tools Antivirus. Today a scan revealed the presence of four trojans; not being familiar with the program, and thinking I was simply removing the trojans, I clicked on remove and believe (but am not sure) that I have deleted the actual (system) files.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5105. The files I may have deleted are:
Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\Inerop.Shell32.dll
Acer\Empowering Technology\eNet\Interop.Shell32.dll
Acer\Empowering Technology\interop.shell32.dll
and
and C:Windows\System32\Interop.Shell32.dll
Another file has been labelled as a sequence: Packed/FRBR

I suspected that I might have done something wrong. And yet after having attempted an (unsuccessful) system restore, I see that the files in question are still in quarantine. How can I see if the files are still on the computer and, if I have deleted them, is there a way of obtaing them without having to do a complete 'recovery'?

Florio

P.S. the trash bin had already been emptied and the computer restarted before I cottoned on...

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:46 03 Mar 08

System restore?

G

rawprawn 17:50 03 Mar 08

Try a system file scan, you haven't said which operating system, but if it's XP go to Start > Run > and type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. You may need your XP CD. If it's Vista open the CMD Prompt by Right clickng and choose "Run as Administrator" at the prompt type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

rawprawn 17:52 03 Mar 08

He says he has tried that without success, but I wonder if he chose another point it may be successfull?

Gongoozler 18:43 03 Mar 08

Florio, what makes you think that you have done something wrong?
If PC Tools Antivirus has quarantined the files, it hasn't actually deleted them, it has simply made them inaccessible to Windows, so they should be easily restored, however if nothing has gone wrong with your computer, then perhaps they are malicious - or at least unneeded.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:46 03 Mar 08

You should be able to restore the files from quarentine in PC T AV.

Click on the file and look at the options available.

Florio 20:06 03 Mar 08

I suspected (and still suspect) that I'd done something wrong when, after the system restore was unsuccessful, there was a message saying that some files could not be found. Would this simply be because they were in quarantine? If so, what action should I take? How long should files remain there before they can be 'put back', and when do they get 'disinfected'?
I also thought that things weren't working properly because when I double-clicked on the Empowering Technology icon on the desktop, nothing happened (although to be quite honest, I'd never clicked on it before; I did so today because the infected drivers were from that folder).
Florio

woodchip 20:11 03 Mar 08

Restore may put the Trojans back, if he as not already done it

cheap6 20:26 03 Mar 08

have you tried going to the acer web site and downloading the files. click here

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now