Have disk-no files found

dagbladet 15:41 07 Oct 03

I bought a new, though discontinued, USB memory stick reader. I plugged the reader in, and got as expected "new hardware found", then got the business about not compatible with Win XP. The CD that came with it had stuff (drivers ?) for 98, ME, and 2000 on it but no XP. I went to the Jenoptik site and downloaded the XP drivers, however when I try to load them using the hardware wizard, I click "have disk" but wizard says "no files found in that location" or worsd to that effect. I've looked on the disk and they're definately there. Any help please.

Jester2K II 16:01 07 Oct 03

Is there a setup.exe in the driver download? If so run it and it'll dump the drivers in your Windows installation. The USB MSR should then pick up the drivers from there.

Megatyte 16:04 07 Oct 03

The 2000 drivers should work.

AH

Jester2K II 16:06 07 Oct 03

If there are XP drivers then they should work. Why use 2000 drivers if XP are avalible???

dagbladet 16:11 07 Oct 03

I didn't try any of drivers (98, 2000, me) because of the "not compatible with XP" message. Does this message mean that this piece of kit is NEVER going to work in XP or I just need new drivers.
Jester, (bear with me) are you saying, to run the exe program on its own, not going through the "add new hardware wizard" ?

Megatyte 16:15 07 Oct 03

I agree. The 2000 is a work-around if all else fails.

AH

Jester2K II 16:17 07 Oct 03

"not compatible with XP" IGNORE this message.

If there is an install.exe or setup.exe do the following.

remove the Memory Stick. Make sure Add new Hardware wizard is closed.

Run the install.exe or setup.exe. This should add the drivers to the collection installed on your PC.

When done plug in Memory Stick and then see what happens.

Jester2K II 16:19 07 Oct 03

Can you link me to the Jenopik download site?

dagbladet 16:20 07 Oct 03

Thanks for that. I assume that the program will install into the correct place on my PC. Whenever I get that box that asks where I want to install a program, I really don't have a clue.

dagbladet 16:23 07 Oct 03

jester, looking for the site now. Annoyingly not called jenoptik.com, I'll find it, hang on.

Jester2K II 16:24 07 Oct 03

I won't know until you try.

Example If you buy an old piece of hardware Windows XP has the drivers sorted already in a database and when you plug the old device in it finds the drivers. However your device is either newer or not "natively" supported by Win XP.

So you MAY have to update the database of drivers on your PC by running a setup.exe and install.exe program first. Follow the prompts and it'll put the drivers in the right places. Then when you plug in the device should find the drivers.

If you can show me what you downloaded and where from i'll have a look.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…