Have to disconnect external HD to boot up.

tufnut 12:19 07 Nov 05

Hi,Windows XP Home...External Hard Drive:Freedom Classic,USB connection. Amd 2000+.
Works fine when plugged in after boot up but when left plugged in boot fails:DLL file not found or corrupted.
I have been into the BIOS but don't know what to do. I need a step by step solution due to my limited knowledge.
I would be grateful for any help.

woodchip 12:23 07 Nov 05

Start computer then plug the drive in, now double click on "My Computer" right click the External drive Letter\Poperties\tools\check disc click go

tufnut 14:03 07 Nov 05

Thanks woodchip...Nice of you to reply,but I tried that twice without success. It seems the PC is trying to boot from the external drive by overiding my main drive..I previously dragged the relavent file onto the EX Drive...Even dragged the whole windows folder onto it but I suppose there is no pathway.
There must be a solution...I am suprised that the Manufacturer did not allow for this,(I can't be the only one who has experienced this problem)and include the solution in the "Install intructions"...I rang their support site but it was of no help as the adviser could not give specifics as regards the BIOS settings.Can someone please help?? BRGDS

TeaBee 14:21 07 Nov 05

Your boot order is probably wrong.
Back to the bios and make sure your order is A,(assuming you have a floppy drive) C, then however many drives you have.
Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck egg's as they say, but I can't think of any other reason for the problem. ; )

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 07 Nov 05

In BIOS disable boot from USB device

tufnut 23:25 07 Nov 05

Thanks for the reply to all of you guys.You are the greatest!! I t seems the problem was to do with "Hyper OS" which enables the use of multiple partitions running with different windows EG. WIN XP or WIN 98,based on "Partition magic"...I got the idea of switching to "C" drive to see if it would boot,and it did..Since then it boots OK in all partition drives now...I don't know how it resolved the situation but it did..all of your ideas made a lot of sense...I will particularily remember Fruit Bat's idea of "disabling boot from USB device: itmay come in handy in the future...Thanks very much to all of you. I am much obliged to you all...BRGS, tufnut.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…