Hauppauge WinTV PCI cards and how the picture gets

Giggle n' Bits 23:19 24 Mar 03

put on the TV Screen.

Ok I have a GF4 Ti4200 AGP card with a 15Pin VGA, Svideo & Digital connector on but how does a seperate TV tuner card like above put the picture onto the actual monitor/TFT flat screen ?.

Is this doen by a link cable from TV Card to AGP Grpahics Card or channeled thorough the PCI card and motherboard to get the picture onto the screen.

Other post not me but asking same question there.

Patr100 23:24 24 Mar 03

It dosn't connect to the AGP card in any way - purely via the PCI slot on the motherboard.

Giggle n' Bits 23:41 24 Mar 03

TV Card by data transfer from the motherboard. No extra cable/s needed.

Please confirm this. Thanks also Patr100 !

woodchip 23:46 24 Mar 03

No cable needed it send's the picture over the CPU direct, the only cable needed is the one supplied that connects the card to the Line in on the sound card

Patr100 23:56 24 Mar 03

Yes - the only cable is to connect externally to the soundcard so you get sound from the TV tuner on the PCI card going through your speakers - as Woodchip says.

Giggle n' Bits 00:19 25 Mar 03

Anyone got a bad things to say about them.

would a TFT Flat screen be ok for watching TV on even if connected by a VGA not by digital connector ?.

Thanks for the feedback Patr100, and also Woodchip in H-F. !

€dstow 08:28 25 Mar 03

Someone said here once that he wouldn't even let an empty Hauppauge box near his machine for fear of it causing damage. I tend to agree. They are often extremely difficult to set up and when they are set up the results are often very disappointing.

My view (and I've often said this) is that a computer should be used for computing and a television should be used for watching TV. Just because both devices normally use a CRT for display, that doesn't mean that the devices are the same or even meant to be the same as a close look at a TV screen and a computer monitor which easily show.

Remember that for more or less the same price as a mid-price Hauppauge device you can buy a real television set which, although it may be basic, will be infinitely better than anything obtainable from Hauppauge.

graham 10:18 25 Mar 03

It may have been me! There's no denying many folk use these TV cards without any problems, equally some, including me, have had their PC's wrecked. I put it down to some insignificant conflict that gradually spreads like a virus until the whole thing collapses.

Spook Tooth 11:08 25 Mar 03

They can often be problematic I agree but have their uses also.

You can resize the TV window and watch the footy whilst surfing the web.

TV cards allow both single frame and motion capture. Good software bundles (and hardware capabilitity) allow for recording to hard disl using a range of compression standards. It is possible to record digital broadcast to lossless digital format, edit it easily (for whatever purpose), keep clips, compile them, send to a friend or whatever. (OK - legally you can only keep terrestrial broadcast for is it, 28 days and not alter content of course.)

I have both a USB device which works well with the laptop (if needed) and has actually a very good display quality but very poor recording potential. My main system has a Pinnacle Pro card which it has to be said is rather a mixed bag, presently shakey picture quality (though down to poor terrestrial reception) but very good recording software.

There are many devices, Hauppauge being super-abundant but based in the states (I wonder if this has anything to do with their poorish rep?). As with any other hardware device, soundcards for example..., they can and are problematic and do not sit well with certain systems (hence system self builders have a problem companies do not have and are stuck with whatever they purchase to an extent).

The USB card I mentioned hated my PSTN 56k dial up Intel modem - it crashed XP unless I launched the TV card application *after* I connected to the internet, and not whilst the modem was busy establishing the connection. (Not good for when the connection was autodisconnected after 2 hours...)

The Pinncle card ironically enough (partially bought as a stable internet replacement) conflicts it *seems* with either the Audigy soundcard or internal PCI ADSL modem... I'm sure it has a negative bearing on what may be well be an audigy/pci adsl modem incompatibility issue.

Computers are problematic... it's not entirely down to the advent of TV cards which are always bad for system stability or always perform poorly. They're a popular product as the breadth of choice testifies. This is just my experience and intended as an example of balancing the viewpoint - so far comments have tended on the side of negative criticism. There are a few pluses also...

CheKeR, do your research firstly and don't expect an easy ride is what I think we're saying here. Try perhaps to get the suppliers recommendations as to what might work best with your present system setup? They will likely build systems and know what works best with particular mobo chipsets/soundcards etc...

graham 11:37 25 Mar 03

So, if you decide to go ahead, buy from a large store, PCWorld, Dixons, etc., and confirm it will work with your system. I rated Pinnacle Rave the best, Hauppauge USB and Radeon the worst. Back-up and set restore points before installing. First sign of trouble, whip it out and take it back as not compatible. They may suggest you download the latest drivers, but in my experience they will refund you. Then go to another store ...

Giggle n' Bits 12:16 25 Mar 03

You make some interesting points and I agree that computers are for computing & TV is for TV.

The extra hassle of fitting a TV cards at present don't sound worth it, its not the first place I have heared bad vibes.

I have decided to give the TV card a miss

I thank you all for you above shared verdicts, expierience and comments. You have most likley saved me a lot of hassle.

Cheers all !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…