Has a USB Dongle knocked out my USB modem?

QualBob 12:17 10 Jan 05

There may be too many variables here but here goes - since a usb dongle was inserted into my home comp (Windows ME - yes, I know but I want to get this sorted before I migrate to XP!) device manager shows nothing but 3 bluetooth entries under modem and I can't connect to the Internet. System Restore still sees the bluetooth under Device Manager / Modems BEFORE it was loaded (?)Have tried removing all modems in Dev Manager hoping windows will pick up modem as new hardware but it doesn't. Has the dongle damaged the usb (which is a dodgy area in ME anyway in my experience see my earlier posting to this forum) - ie there is a patch for 98 on the Microsoft website but not for ME.... Anyone had similar probs? -or has a solution!! Thanks

Graham ® 12:25 10 Jan 05

Look at the USB root hub properties in Device Manager, particularly Power.

LeadingMNMs 12:34 10 Jan 05

Are all the connections plugged into an external hub, or an internal card ? There is sometimes problems with multiple devices and this reduces the power available to some devices.

QualBob 22:12 11 Jan 05

Thanks for the help - the answer was to take all the TCp/Ip items out of teh Network and re-install as the dongle had corrupted them. Windows would not see teh modem-even when I changed from usb to ethernet until those drivers were re-installed
Thanks again all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…