Has tweaking software killed my PC?

NinkyRudes 17:42 25 Sep 05

I use XP MCE 2002, normally works fine.

I have just installed WINner Tweak 2SE on my main PC, with the aim of a small spring clean. However, I was not paying much attention to what I was doing, and now my PC won't boot properly.

It runs through the BIOS fine, then just displays the Windows startup menu, telling me that it failed last time. On selection of any option, including safe mode, the system reboots itself.

I cannot currently locate my XP cd, but have access to another copy, so I am able to get to the recovery console.

I don't know quite what I did, but I'm sure I deleted all "unused" items in my registry. After that, on running the Windows disk cleanup utility it froze up the system with error messages about incorrect versions of system files. Can I restore the system or do I need to reinstall?

I'm really stumped; any help would be much appreciated!

Stuartli 17:50 25 Sep 05

A XP Repair would be better as it would save all programs, applications and configuration.

How to do it has been detailed on a number of occasions in recent weeks.

alan227 19:39 25 Sep 05

A walkthrough for Windows XP repair.
click here

NinkyRudes 01:21 26 Sep 05

Thanks for your help, I've found my own Windows cd as well now, so I'll try the repair installation in the morning and post the results.

€dstowe 06:30 26 Sep 05

Before I make any changes to the innards of my computers (software or hardware) I ALWAYS make a full backup of my currently working system.

In the event of things going wrong (as you have experienced) you can then re-install your working system quickly and easily from the backup. Something worth thinking about, don't you agree?

dcu11 08:04 26 Sep 05

so if it boots how was it dead?
recovery console
fixboot

repair should work fine, just take longer

NinkyRudes 09:59 26 Sep 05

I found my ASR disks as well as my XP cd, so I have restored the system to pretty much how it was.

For more info on how to do this click here

Unfortunately this is only available in Pro/MCE, not Home, but it sure works!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac