has service pack 3 wiped out my network?

coelodonta 10:00 27 Oct 08

hi
i have a belikn wireless g router and a belkin wireless g desktop network card(F5D7000). the PC has been working fine for a couple of years, until last night when i installed microsoft service pack 3. now, whenever i try to connect to the network the connection works until i actually try to browse or download a file. this automatically breaks the wireless link and the pc tries continually to restablish the link, only for it break after a couple of seconds of connection.

I have uninstalled service pack 3 but this did not help and the computer fails each time i try to system restore back to the pre SP3 condition.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the card software and tried with norton turned off. I have a few other thing left to try (changing channels, checking IP adress, checking WZC etc) i use windows to control the card.
The other computers on the wireless network seem unaffected (but i wont be installing SP3 to any of them).

Is there anything else i should consider? could it be just a fluke that my card packed up as i was installing SP3?
I have spent afew hours trawilng the forums but ive not found anyone else with the exact same problem as this.

coelodonta 08:06 28 Oct 08

right - the wireless problem was fixed by changing the channel on the router - no idea why SP3 made this neccesary or whether this was a fluke. The PC was still running tragically slow, this is apparently due to SP3 clashes with norton.

I removed norton fully using the norton removal tool on the symantec website, uninstalled all of the other spyware etc software and then dowloaded and installed SP3. Result - PC back to normal. Will reinstall Norton ASAP, if it causes the same problem, I'll ditch norton for something less problematic.

User-1212661 20:47 28 Oct 08

Hello coelodonta,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting. There are aspects of the Windows XP SP 3 installation that can cause problems with Norton installed.

Can you please tell me what Norton product and version you are using?

Symantec has a document that explains the issues that can arise when installing SP3 along with Norton and how to resolve them either pre or post SP 3 installation.

Please carefully read the information in the following document. The third part of the document is where you will find the tool that may need to be run to clean up the registry entries.

[url=click here]Windows XP SP3 and Norton[/url]

Please let me know which Norton product and version you are using, and also if you still have problems after following the instructions in the document.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
click here

Rahere 17:06 29 Oct 08

Many people have had problems installing SP3 when an antivirus is running though Norton is one that seems to have received the most attention.

Nice to see a proactive tech department here!!

tullie 18:07 31 Oct 08

Be handy if he got a response!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…