Has overheating damaged my Ram? Worth replacing?

ferncs 09:49 05 Nov 13

I've had my hp pavilion dv6 for just over 2 years now and I've always run advanced system care on it and been careful about what I install to keep it fast. It was as good as the day I bought it until recently when I got a message that my fan had stopped working (the laptop had been getting hot for a while). I paid about £65 for the fan to be replaced but I noticed as soon as I got it back that it was being a bit slower. Normally I can just turn it on and its responsive straight away but now I had to wait a few minutes.

Then sometimes when I turned it on it was almost completely unresponsive and my cpu and ram useage were almost 100%

Now it takes about ten minutes from me pressing the 'on' button until it will actually do anything like open google chrome. It stays on the pulsing windows screen at startup for over 5 minutes usually. When it does get going my ram useage is about 30-50% even when I'm not doing anything.

I've done a full virus scan with no problems, I've disabled some of the buggier elements of avast with no luck and I've run the 'Soluto' program to find out what takes so long on boot up. Well, its just all the essential programs taking ages for some reason, I've disabled anything non essential.

I read somewhere that a suddenly slow laptop could be a sign of RAM sticks failing. Could my overheating laptop have damage the RAM?

I'm mainly using it for Uni work but I do play the sims 3 games on it. I haven't tried since it started being slow though because I don't know how it could cope if the RAM is at 50% when the laptop is idle.

Is ram my problem? Is my laptop worth fixing or shall I get a new one? I'm just worried about it breaking and not having my laptop when I need it for Uni. And I don't want to spend another £65 on fixing an element when something else might go soon.

ferncs 09:59 05 Nov 13

Taken from 'soluto' here are my system specs: CPU AMD AMD Phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core Processor RAM DDR3 SDRAM4 GB Motherboard HP 366B Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6470M

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:19 05 Nov 13

Is it showing the same amount of RAM as when you took it in for repair?

Some RAM may be used for on board graphics hence the RAM usage when doing nothing

try memtest click here to check for failing memory.

To be honest I would take it back to the repairer and tell him the problems refuse to paymore.

£65 is pretty good for a fan clean ue to the time reqiured to strip and rebuild just to get at the fan.

Memory is easy to fit DIY might be worth just removing and refitting to see if it makes a difference.

ferncs 10:34 05 Nov 13

Yeah the amount of ram is the same. I don't know if its his fault though, so I don't know if I have any grounds for him to do it for free, I might look into installing more by myself though.

I can't run memtest at the moment because I don't have a cd or usb to boot it from :/

spuds 11:20 05 Nov 13

I agree with Fruit Bat, if the laptop is running far slower that what it did in the past, then the repairer should have or would be able to pick up any problem. A conversation shouldn't cost anything, but guessing might, and perhaps at the most inconvenient moment for you?.

I would also go for the suggestion of removing and refitting the ram, but not before contacting the repair person, in case they accuse you of messing around with their repair?.

rdave13 14:07 05 Nov 13

I would also check the CPU's running temperature. Try Core Temp.

rdave13 14:08 05 Nov 13

PS, use one of the 'mirror' links not the big green download tab!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5