Has my router given up the ghost?

Batch 09:35 24 Jul 07

I have a 2 year old 3Com wireless ADSL modem router (model 3CRWDR100A-72) which I normally leave powered on and connected all the time (last time it was powered off before yesterday would have been in May whilst on vacation).

Yesterday I had occasion to turn off the mains power and so, dutifully, powered off all equipment beforehand.

Once the power was on again, upon firing up the router it would not sychronise (and so could not even attempt to login).

However, my standby BT Voyager USB ADSL Modem sychronises and logs in without any problem.

I have tried the following (with no joy):

- Restarting the router (from its menu and from the its power button).

- Downloading and installing the latest firmware, with a reset to factory defaults.

- Changing all the cabling down to the telephone socket (including a different microfilter).

Does anyone one have any other suggestions or is it time to raid the piggy bank and shell out on a new one?

oldbeefer2 09:52 24 Jul 07

If your spare modem works normally when plugged into the same point, sounds as though 'tother one has had it!

dth 10:47 24 Jul 07

sorry sounds pretty conclusive

Batch 11:20 24 Jul 07

Thanks guys.

I realise that it sounds pretty terminal, but thought I'd post just in case someone had an off-the-wall suggestion!

Dipso 14:15 24 Jul 07

The only other thing it cold be...bit of a longshot though...if you are on a marginal line, it could be that your line conditions have deteriorated enough for the router not to sync, but the USB modem, which are often better at syncing with poor line condtions, has no problem establishing the connection.

Batch 14:23 24 Jul 07

I'd thought of that. Historically, the line was quite good. I remember the Noise Margin and Attenuation figures as reported by the router as being well within acceptable limits.

Unfortunately, I can't check the figures with the USB modem as it doesn't report such info.

Batch 15:36 24 Jul 07

Well, I've contacted 3Com and they say that they will send out a replacement (as it is under a 3 year warranty). So I'll wait and see what happens.

Batch 12:20 27 Jul 07

Sterling service from 3Com. Replacement router (seemingly brand new and later model even) arrived this morning and all hunky dory now!

Dipso 13:50 27 Jul 07

Glad to hear it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…