Has my pc been hacked?

indego 14:27 28 Apr 15
Answered

Afternoon all, Until a few years ago I was with BT for my email, I now use Yahoo. Today, I got a phone call from a friend telling me that he had received an email from me that was in Spanish. He asked me if I have an account with BT. I explained to him that I do have other email accounts, but none with BT as I changed from BT to yahoo a long time ago. I told him to delete it. Have I been hacked, if so what can I do about it?

Thank you in advance of any worthwhile suggestions.

stevethetester 17:50 28 Apr 15
Answer

Hi, Have you closed down the BT account or is it still active but unused? If still active suggest that you change your passwords asap, same for Yahoo. Follow this up with full anti-virus scans as well as malwarebytes. If these come back negative for issues on your end then there is a strong probability taht the issue is with BT being compromised rather than you. Hope this helps,

Steve

indego 01:55 29 Apr 15

Thank you stevethetester for your reply. I change my important passwords ie bank, paypal and ebay for instance and email on a regular basis, but can't help but wonder how my old BT email address is, apparently, still active. How do I close it down?

Thanks again.

stevethetester 17:43 29 Apr 15

Hi indego,

It should-and I say should-be easy to close the account down;however you only have to look at the BT forums to see that is very much not the case. I stopped using mine for a couple of years and even though I was informed that the account would be closed it is still active.It may be an idea to contact BT customer service and see if they can help with this but in the meantime I would make sure that you are currently signed out from this account and send a blanket e-mail to all your contacts telling them to either ignore these e-mails or mark them as spam. I know this isn't ideal; at the minute I'm receiving about 20 spam e-mails a day to my "closed" BT account as against "sending" them and feel that BT aren't doing enough to help "non" customers as we are known as. Good luck

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac