has my motherboard had it.

mpg1965 12:58 27 Mar 05

i upgraded from 98 to xp pro 2 years ago and all was ok,i since needed to do a reinstall and all has gone mad.when it gets to the copying setup files to the c drive it stops says it cant copy a certain file and says i may not be using a real windows disk.i am.keep hitting return and the install continues and keeps stoping again.i get to the end and it just locks up and the blue screen says maybe a hardware problem.ive pulled all cards out tried 3 hard drives 3 cd drives and even with all disconnected it still happens.however 98 goes on with no trouble and works fine with or without all attached hardware.can anyone help with this problem.thanks

Fingees 13:32 27 Mar 05

By means of bios, Make sure you set your first boot disk as CD then 2nd as Hard drive.
place xp CD in drive and boot up from CD.

You should then be able to install ok.

the reason is XP wont instal over a younger program, ie, updated .

mpg1965 15:23 27 Mar 05

hey fingees thanks alot for that its sorted now,youve saved me from trying to find and buy a new skt370 board.i dont remember changing the boot sequence but i must of done,thanks alot....

mpg1965 15:23 27 Mar 05

hey fingees thanks alot for that its sorted now,youve saved me from trying to find and buy a new skt370 board.i dont remember changing the boot sequence but i must of done,thanks alot....

Fingees 19:17 27 Mar 05

Just a point.

If you upgraded two years ago, I presume your computer is somewhat older.

Keep an eye on any sign ie time not correct, or date, just in case your battery is beginning to weaken.

It might be that your bios cmos set itself back to default

Fingees 22:40 27 Mar 05

bump

THE TERMINATOR 00:58 28 Mar 05

Changing the boot sequence did'nt solve your problem. Upgrading to XP from 98, was a no-go. But booting from the cd and installing XP BEFORE windows98 was loaded,cured the problem.

THE TERMINATOR 00:59 28 Mar 05

Don't forget to change your boot sequence back to as it was.

mpg1965 15:07 28 Mar 05

guys i think i may have jumped the gun a bit,it still stopped but this time at 99% where as before it was stpping all the way thru.any more surgestions will help. thanks folks

mpg1965 15:41 31 Mar 05

all is ok now folks works out to have been an iffy memory module

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…