Has my laptop Died?

gengiscant 08:44 08 Oct 09

It may have begun yesterday though I think it happened a couple of times before.
When I push the power button the fans spin for a short while stop then start spinning again. There is no P.O.S.T. and the screen remains blank.
Power seems to be getting to the usb's but apart from that it is difficult to tell.

The laptop is not in its prime and came free from my partners son but has proves useful whilst I have been confined to bed, surfing and puzzle games and basic stuff.

The laptop is A Toshiba satellite P10-504
click here

I've upped the ram to 2Gg and put a bigger hdd and its was running a fully up to date XP home.

I am confident enough should the solution, if there is one,means it needs to be taken apart. But I'm thinking mobo trouble here and strip it down for sale as spare parts might be my only option.

Taff™ 10:15 08 Oct 09

First thought would be to check that the fan isn`t clogged with dust or debris. If it`s sticking it will cause a cut out and you will get what you describe - no power up. Sounds like it does this sometimes with yours. Next replace the fan maybe. It could be failing or the bearing is sticking because of lack of lubrication. (Once it starts spinning the lube gets redistributed?)

The only other cause might be cured by removing the battery and power supply. Hold the power on button for 30 seconds and then reboot using the power supply. This discharges the capacitor on the power board. You can then reboot and put the battery back in.

gengiscant 10:32 08 Oct 09

Thanks,will certainly do what you have suggested, I am actually typing this reply to your post on the laptop which after swapping the ram modules about, booted up as normal. Strange.

gengiscant 16:29 08 Oct 09

Has been turn of a couple of times today and no problem but I do not think it has been solved.

gengiscant 11:34 10 Oct 09

turn of should read turned off.

Yesterday it would not boot until I swapped the memory sticks about again then no problem.
Today it booted fine.

Part of me wants the laptop to be knackered as I want to take it apart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant