Has my Hard Drive packed in!

cara 19:19 01 Dec 04

I have been told by Mesh that the error message 'symc810.sys is corrupted' indicates the Hard Drive has failed.

Other than trying to re-format with the recovery disk - there is no idication that the HD has failed. So, does this seem correct. Can a HD fail in this way with no other apparent symptons? How can I be sure?

Thanks, Cara

ACOLYTE 19:21 01 Dec 04

What make of drive is it,there is usually a diagnostic utillity on makers sites that lets you test the drive for errors.

Valvegrid 19:26 01 Dec 04

I notice you have two threads running on the same enquiry, which one would you like people to answer on?

click here

ACOLYTE 19:31 01 Dec 04

I think this is a driver for the SCSI devices so if you were to reinstall the driver you may save the hard drive.According to click here

the only one to use is the one on the xp cd.

cara 20:12 01 Dec 04

If the HD has packed in, this is not, hopefully, too much of a problem as it is still under Mesh warranty. However, could the error code point to a conflict somewhere rather than a HD failure?

I am a little cautious about downloading drivers on my computer (the problem computer is still my brothers)in case it affects my settings.

What area of computing does the error code cover?
SCSI - my being a novice, what is this?

Thanks for your replies.

ACOLYTE 20:23 01 Dec 04

The only other place i could find this driver was on this site click here as VOG already linked 2 in the other post.I think its the adapter for the hard drive or raid controller devices not 100% sure tho.Try doing a restore from the recovery disc it may well re install the thing.

cara 21:10 01 Dec 04

It is not a problem reinstalling XP from the recovery disk. I can do this via my computer, and the CD rom drive.

However the aim is to boot up and format the HD using the recovery disk - this is when the error message is displayed. And Mesh tell me the HD has failed. Does this make sense?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…