has my dvd rewriter drive packed up

Kingfisher 14:22 26 Dec 06

I was half way through copying a cd a got a write error failure, now I cannot play any cd,s in it or read any data cd's, the dvd side works fine, have checked device manager and uninstalled and reinstalled drive but still no joy. region code and autoplay etc are all set ok.
If I suspect it has failed anybody recommend a decent rewriter drive multi format dual layer etc.
the drive is an nec dvd rw nd3540a
many thanks for your advice in advance
os is win xp home

postie24 14:25 26 Dec 06

Try clearing out the upper and lower filters in registry.Create a restore point 1st,then follow these instructions. 1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen
then reboot

postie24 14:26 26 Dec 06

If that does not work,prob laser failure on the cd side of things

postie24 14:31 26 Dec 06
  Stuartli 14:39 26 Dec 06

postie24's suggestion is the model I have - only thing it lacks is LightScribe and that bothers me not one jot...:-)

Speeds are the fastest available at present and it has proved quick and reliable to date.

It's only available in OEM form but you clearly have all you require in any case from your present drive.

Kingfisher 14:56 26 Dec 06

Hi postie24 tried what you suggested still no joy, so looks like a new drive will go for the one that you and Stuartli suggested will post back when new drive fitted, thanks for your advice

postie24 15:03 26 Dec 06

Ok,good luck...postie24

Strawballs 15:10 26 Dec 06

Have just fitted one of those for a nieghbour (biege) from Novatech ordered it online Tues before christmas Novatech said it would arrive on the 28th it arrived 2 days later.

Kingfisher 15:04 27 Dec 06

New sony dvd rewriter fitted today now all working fine, thanks again for advice

postie24 15:51 27 Dec 06

Glad you have it sorted

Happy new year

postie24

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now